Tuesday, September 13, 2011

In Which the Manic Reclusive Leaves Home

Already the middle of September, and I haven't blogged again. Part of the lag is because I attended two different conventions in two different cities.

When last I blogged, I mentioned that we were about to drive across town for Bubonicon in Albuquerque, New Mexico. That was a fun convention. I didn't attend very many panels, but I sat in the hallway and talked to people, and enjoyed watching the costumes. It was comfortable to feel a part of the celebration. My favorite part of Bubonicon is on Sunday afternoon. First there is the Author's Tea. Several of the lady authors who live in the Bubonicon area organize a tea. They have usually four types of tea from a local tea house, and they all prepare appropriate delicacies like scones or savory crackers and cheese. Everything is always so good.

We are expected to come in hat and gloves as is appropriate for tea.This year, I made a little veil and some gloves from some yellow sparkly tulle. I didn't get a picture taken of me, but I felt really elegant. And the petite fours were marvelous.

After that, we can pick up our purchases from the Art Show. I always go in and bid on some of the artworks, especially if there are dragons in it. I never know until I pick it up whether I won the silent auction for a piece. I could have nothing, or I could have everything. It's kind of like Christmas. This year, I got a print of a piece I've bid on before and lost. It's the picture of a dragon with it's head out the car window, like a dog. I love it.

On Wednesday after our Bubonicon experience, we flew from New Mexico to Atlanta, Georgia, for Dragon*Con. I have to say that this is the largest convention I've ever attended. It had over 45,000 attendees, and more than 400 media stars. They had five huge hotels in downtown Atlanta, full to bursting with fans, and all with rooms for panels. In some ways, it was too much for me. Not only were there too many people, but it was hot and humid outside. Not a perfect environment for a Manic Reclusive from the High Desert.

We stayed in the Weston. It was much more expensive than the Centennial, where most of the rest of the 1632 panel members stayed. But we didn't make reservations until June, so the Centennial was already booked. I chose the Weston because that was where Eric Flint, the publisher for the Grantville Gazette, was staying. I'm glad we did it that way, even though it was so much more money, because that's where all our panels were held. So I didn't really have to leave my hotel for anything except looking for people I know, or to get something to eat.

The very first panel in the 1632 series was my panel on Chocolate. The first piece I sold to the Grantville Gazette was "The Theobroma Shell Game". It can be found here. It is a non-fiction piece about the history and process of bringing chocolate to the Americans in Grantville in the 1630's. So every year I get the first panel. Everybody likes that because I bring samples of chocolate, and it's a good way to introduce the whole concept of 1632 to new readers.

If you were unable to attend Dragon*Con, but are curious about my activities, we recorded the panels, and they are now on YouTube for your perusal and entertainment. I have watched myself on this panel, and it makes me want to lock myself in my room and never be seen in public again. But you will probably not have the same reaction. Look for my YouTube debut at this link. It will take you to Chocolate I of 4 parts. It is informative, and if I haven't figured out how to share chocolate on the Interwebz yet, at least you can see what you missed.

While you are there, you can see other panels we did. I was not on any others, but I did help point the camera at most of the others. And if they spend some time looking at the wall, or not following the person talking, I apologize. I got caught up in the discussion, and forgot I was recording. ADD strikes again.

Now I'm home, and I'm profoundly glad. We are not planning another expedition until LosCon in November. We do have the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta on the horizon, but I get to have people come here and visit, and I sleep in my own bed every night. We came from Dragon*Con with a whole handful of stories to finish for the Grantville Gazette, and novels for me to finish, and plan for new ones for NaNoWriMo. So I will be writing. And hopefully blogging every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment